TWA LAWSUIT SETTLED

Open forum to discuss whatever subject may be of interest to the members of the Ozark Air Line Silver Swallows Alumni.

TWA LAWSUIT SETTLED

Postby Fred.moore » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:01 pm

After a dozen years of litigation, former TWA pilots and their lawyers will share a $53 million settlement with their former union.

The pilots lost much seniority when American Airlines bought TWA out of bankruptcy in 2001. Without such job protection, only 750 of 2,300 TWA pilots remained with American by 2003.

TWA pilots sued their own union, the Air Line Pilots Association, for what they said was inadequate representation in the merger negotiations. American’s pilots were represented by another union.

“With initial damages sought in the billions, this settlement, while significant, is far less than what the plaintiffs pursued,” the Air Line Pilots Association said in a message to its members.

The settlement was dated Wednesday and filed in federal court in New Jersey. The agreement requires a judge’s approval.

More than half the settlement will be paid by insurance companies. The union said it would not have to raise dues or charge its members to pay the bill.

Under the seniority system devised in the merger, more than half of the TWA pilots were moved to the bottom of the list at American, putting them first in line for layoffs. Many of the others moved down from captain to first officer.

The attorneys’ portion of the settlement will be decided in future court hearings.

Jim Gallagher is a reporter at the Post-Dispatch
Fred.moore

Re: TWA LAWSUIT SETTLED

Postby hofe77OZ » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:33 pm

For those of you who may have received a Settlement Claim form in the Bensel v. ALPA action;

In addition to filing for a settlement claim there is a section where you can file for reimbursement of contributions to the lawsuit.

Since I didn't have any checks written to "Bensel v. ALPA", I contacted the claims administrator to see if there might be some other title or addressee on the checks I wrote. They referred me to Ms. Nicole Acchione, an attorney handling the case. She advised that she knew of three other names which would be considered as contributions:
1) AWRF or Airline Workers Relief Fund (?)
2) TWA Pilot Action Fund
3) Trujillo, Rodriguez, and Richards (law firm)
She also said that other funds may possibly have been rolled into the lawsuit funding, and recommended submitting anything that looks related from April 2001 (year of merger) and later.

If you didn't receive a claim form and think you might be eligible, call the Claims Administrator (McGladrey LLP) at (800) 222-2760 or visit http://www.stlouislaw.com/TWA for more info. Ms. Acchione's phone is 856-482-5742. Claims must be received by May 13, 2014.

Hope this helps.
Alan Hofeldt
hofe77OZ

TWA LAWSUIT SETTLED

Postby BarryFaima » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:06 pm

Flight 800s direct sister ship which was as a note also orig. for TWA crashed under similar circumstances if I am not mistaken though with the Iranian Air Force.
BarryFaima

Return to General Discussion (Open to members and guests)